Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cardinal Invasion

Through out this winter I have had two pairs of Northern Cardinals (Cardinalis cardinalis) living nearby and frequenting my feeders and back deck everyday.  A few minutes after coming in last evening my wife pointed to the feeders and said "look at them all!"  Out by a tulip poplar were -to my best count- 14 to 16 Cardinals.  The feeders still had plenty of seed in them and every spot at the feeders was occupied by a Cardinal.  The others were sitting nearby on branches as though they were waiting for their turn at the feeders.  I have never seen so many in my yard at one time and it has been years since I have seen that many so close together period!  It was a sight to watch.  I was so caught up in the mob scene I did not think to grab my camera (found out later the batteries were dead anyway) or my cell phone to get a picture of the birds.  For those of you who know me, that sort of bright thinking will come as no surprise to you.  For those who are coming to know me, time will help you understand.  But memories live on in our hearts and minds and they can not be replaced by a digital picture, at least that is what I have found myself saying since last evening.

A peculiar thing has played itself out in our yard over this winter as well.  We have always counted on keeping more seed available than what we think we will need due to the yard being inundated with Blue Jays (Cyanocitta cristata).  This year -Nada- not one.  I have not seen one in the yard, fly by over head, land in our neighbors yards, no where have I seen a Blue Jay.  A good friend of mine who lives a few miles north of me has told me he has seen only 1 or 2 this winter.  I haven't been able to figure this out yet.  Not a one.  Maybe one of you will have some thoughts on this.  In the mean time, my camera is at the ready if one does come anywhere nearby, new batteries and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment